10.19.2007

Gratitude List

Inspired by Mindy and Zorra, and also by my own high level of irritation at work this week, I've come to the conclusion that a gratitude list is in order. Here we go, the things that I'm able to remember to be thankful for today, in no particular order:
  1. A boss who respects me.
  2. A few coworkers who I really like.
  3. The kits.
  4. A generous husband (who volunteered to squire my mom around yesterday and today, since I don't have the vacation time to take while she's visiting).
  5. That my mom's luggage finally arrived, even if it was after midnight.
  6. A gorgeous, stormy fall day. Absolutely nothing feels as restorative as a good storm.
  7. Today's Friday.
  8. My cozy bright-blue sweater.
  9. The sense that, even though it's making me a bit crazy at the moment, I have a "permanent" job.

It's a slow start, but it's a start. Maybe I'll try to start substituting gratitude lists for gripes. We'll see how that goes...

5 comments:

  1. That reminds me of Al-Anon's suggestion to make an ABC list of gratitude--something that starts with each letter of the alphabet. I always used my children's names, which took care of four.

    Good idea--like David Steindl-Rast's book, "Gratefulness, the Heart of Prayer."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely list. Fall finally arrived here this morning, and I'm thankful for my bright blue sweater, too!
    Did you ever make the chess pie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. great list, big and small (great husband, blue sweater...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn, no chess pie yet. I did apple this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins