8.23.2007

Sloths/Slugs/Lazy People

I had a hard time naming this post, because I wanted a corresponding title and picture. Since I'm really feeling like a slug, that was the obvious option. On the other hand, have you looked at a slug lately? Let me clarify: Disgusting, yes? So I obviously didn't want to share that analogy.

Then I thought about sloths-- aren't they fuzzy little creatures that also happen to lack energy? But when I looked a little closer, not so cute. The talons alone could scare the bejesus out of someone:

So we'll just be talking about lazy people today. I can do that one. This is a reasonably accurate depiction of me when I don't want to do something (clearly including taking care of my hair, makeup, and wardrobe):


But I'm starting to become embarrassed by my laziness. It might very well be the tiniest nasty competitive streak I have: a college buddy has been competitively biking all summer, another one is running a mini-marathon in October, and a darling coworker just finished an Ironman triathlon.
Me? I'm going to re-start my once-a-week hour of beginning ballroom dance next month (summer hiatus). I'd like to be more active, I just don't want to have to actually do something. Ya know?
I used to jog. Can't breathe in winter, though, which makes me inconsistant. I've thought about some sort of league sport, but I am painful uncoordinated at anything involving bats/balls/clubs/raquets. To an embarrassing degree. (I'm having painful elementary school flashbacks now of always, always being the last one picked. Dorky little girl in the middle of rough, competative, loud girls. Not a place I want to be again.) There's always the Pilates DVD, I guess. Not real impressive, eh? I'm certainly not going to get a t-shirt out of it.
I think I want a running partner. Not Mr. M, though he offers-- he's such a softy that when I start whining he lets me off the hook. Anyone know someone who might push me, but not demoralize me? I think that's what I want.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a great trainer who can kick your rear end. But you have to pay him and well, he's not too close. But I like having a trainer. It motivates me to go and pushes me further than I think I can go.

    And don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins