8.03.2007

Friday Five: Pilgrimage Edition

Reverendmother was kind enough to post this Friday Five for us.

1. Have you ever been on a pilgrimage? (however you choose to define the term) Share a bit about it. If not, what's your reaction to the idea of pilgrimage? By the standard definition, I haven't been on a pilgrimage. That lovely week-long drive from CA to OH when I was 20 feels like one, though. Freedom to notice, freedom to think, celebrating being in my own company. Beautiful trip. I'm still really grateful that I had the chance to take it. I don't think I realized at the time how precious it was, though I certainly did enjoy it.

2. Share a place you've always wanted to visit on pilgrimage. Nope, no "one place" for me. I love the journey more than the destination.

3. What would you make sure to pack in your suitcase or backpack to make the pilgrimage more meaningful? Or does "stuff" just distract from the experience? Stuff is definitely a distraction.

4. If you could make a pilgrimage with someone (living, dead or fictional) as your guide, who would it be? (I'm about thisclose to saying "Besides Jesus." Yes, we all know he was indispensable to those chaps heading to Emmaus, but it's too easy an answer) My gut, knee-jerk reaction is that pilgrimages are solo journeys for me. Then I realized that in this life pilgrimages ought to be something we do together, so I'm really not sure what my answer to this is. It's so hard to find deep peace with other people. Something to think about.

5. Eventually the pilgrim must return home, but can you suggest any strategies for keeping that deep "mountaintop" perspective in the midst of everyday life? (don't mind me, I'll be over here taking notes) Making space for intentional quiet is my answer on this one.

Afterthought: I find such beauty in the Friday Five: one set of questions, but an amazing range of responses. These differences are gorgeous and joyous today.

8 comments:

  1. Glad they spoke to you!

    I'd say your #1 answer sounds like pilgrimage to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Making space for intentional quiet"... at Bible study just the other day we looked at how Jesus himself did that often... went to a place set apart to pray.

    How often we need that reminder... and how often set apart is my car, while I'm driving on country roads... because afterall parishoners can't reach me when I'm in the car. (no cell phone towers around...) hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the "intentional quiet" too...also your afterthought.

    I did a silent retreat once, Looooong ago, found out later it was for women considering becoming sisters! (how'd they let a protestant in???) but interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm.... "Intentional quiet." With one husband, two children, and four churches, I'm not often very successful at finding it. One of the reasons I value my early morning time, when no one else is up yet!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be hard to find in the chaos of "life in the modern world", that's for sure...I think it's a matter of practice, just like anything else...making that space or that time, even when you don't necessarily feel driven to seek it at that moment. Great play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I'm going on vacation next week, visiting my husband's family and our daughter and her partner, I'm already feeling stressed by all this visiting. I think you've given me the suggestion I need: "Making space for intentional quiet is my answer on this one. " Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:59 AM

    I really like your observation that that it's not about a place. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good answers! I agree that making space for intentional quiet is important - and that's not always easy for an extrovert!

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins