8.28.2007

Procrastination, Fear, and Faith

I'm a procrastinator. Not with everything. Laundry (usually) gets done promptly. Thank-you cards are generally sent on time. I buy Christmas gifts well in advance.

But I find that there's a direct corelation between how long I procrastinate, and how afraid I am of failing. Not only is this irrational, but even I know it's self-defeating. When I've reached the last possible moment to get whatever-it-is done, the urgency is finally greater than my doubt.

I must mail my application for Spiritual Direction training TODAY. And so I am finishing it now. It's honest, and thoughtful, but I couldn't do it before today because it was so daunting. Not, it's a little daunting, but holding out for perfection is no longer an option, so it's OK to just dive in.

Update: Procrastination or not, I just sent in my application!

7 comments:

  1. Hooray! I don't want to be coy, but there is something I am procrastinating sending in as well...I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *cheers* Rock on you!

    (I do the same thing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Mrs. M! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I started working on my "thing" tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats! I'm sure it feels good to have that done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that same procrastination-failure correlation. It was an epiphany when I figured that out.

    I'm glad that you got it done. Whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins