10.28.2009

Gentle Prayer Wednesday

"We are poor listeners because we are afraid that there is something other than love in God."
-Nouwen, McNeill, & Morrison, Compassion

This line has been rattling around in my head for the last week. I read it in the context of obedience, a word some of you know I sometimes uncharitably translate as, "indulging some crazy power trip" "giving others licence to misuse their authority."

I'm loving this particular chapter of Compassion, which describes Jesus's obedience to God as an intimate response, born out of a deep knowledge of God's goodness. An entirely different thing than obeying someone because they rank and you don't.

And so, my prayer this week is to trust in that great love, so that I can better hear God's call.

What's your prayer this week?

1 comment:

  1. What a good prayer. I'm taking it up also.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins