10.21.2009

Prayer Request Wednesday, Burning Bush Edition

Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed. Then Moses said, ‘I must turn aside and look at this great sight, and see why the bush is not burned up.’


When the Lord saw that he had turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, ‘Moses, Moses!’ And he said, ‘Here I am.’ Then he said, ‘Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.’ He said further, ‘I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God. --Exodus 3:1-6, NRSV


Every changing tree I see today looks aflame, maybe a call to remove my sandals, and listen for God. And the way the story continues, "But Lord, who am I to..." is exactly where I am right now. Who could possibly take me seriously-- or more important, take God seriously with me as ambassador? I'm too young. I'm not dignified. I don't come with institutional endorsements right now.

So, if you pray for me this week, I'd be grateful for prayers to hear God's call and respond with obedience and trust.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I know I don't want to be obedient, I pretend I didn't hear God's call. :P I really need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers on the way, Mrs. M.

    I would appreciate prayers for discernment about 1) the writing aspect of my vocation for me....I'm burning with things to get out but want to do it peacefully, joyfully, trustingly and guided by the Spirit, and in balance with my other responsibilities for teaching, family, and ministry. And 2) the ministry aspect of my vocation for my new jurisdiction and my ministry placement at our cathedral....I am still waiting for official documents re: my incardination and though I am not actually worried about rejection it is getting a little stressful. Also we are trying to sort out what to do about our bilingual mass when I am the only one fluent in Spanish and can't be there every week because of distance.

    Thanks! This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins