1.24.2010

Many Members

Is it just my experience, or is it more widely true that in churches that use a lectionary, the preacher generally preaches on the gospel reading (rather than the Old Testament or epistle)? This bums me out a little, as I think we're missing some important stuff.

The epistle reading this morning was from the twelfth chapter of Paul's first letter to the Corinthians-- the "there are many members, but one body" passage. I was glad just to hear it today.

I've been reading a lot lately, Nouwen and Merton, but also Mandela and Mr. Rogers. What I'm struck by again and again in these people is an incredible capacity to love others-- a capacity that seems to be rooted in their own acceptance (sometimes hard-won) of which sort of member they are. Being members of one body works both ways-- we accept those that aren't like us, and we respect ourselves as valuable despite differences.

I hope someday to know the peace of that acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins