3.14.2008

Friday Five: Palm Edition

This week, Bishop Laura starts her Friday Five with Palm Sunday, but mercifully steers us away from this crazy week ahead of us, and into a fun discussion of time.

And can you believe that in two days it will be Palm Sunday for Western Christians? Our Lent is almost over, while our Orthodox sisters and brothers, whose liturgical year follows the older Julian calendar, are just starting theirs. Nicholas did a recent book report on George Washington, and we were surprised to find out that our first President's birthday was originally Feb. 11, since he was born just before the change to the Gregorian calendar. Apparently the change almost caused rioting, as some indignant people were sure that they were being cheated out of eleven days of their lives! To help you adjust--and enjoy the process--here's a Friday Five about time and transitions....

1. If you could travel to any historical time period, which would it be, and why?
I'm not usually indecisive, but I love history, and have SO many answers to this question. I'll try to at least narrow it down: I've been paying a lot of attention to the election lately, so I'm thinking a bit about past administrations, and about the founding of our democracy. I'm torn between FDR's first hundred days, Lincoln campaigning, or (and I think this one is winning) the writing of the Constitution.

2. What futuristic/science fiction development would you most like to see?
Paid parental leave.

3. Which do you enjoy more: remembering the past, or dreaming for the future?
I lean toward dreaming ahead, but I think I do that best when I'm inspired by what's come before.

4. What do you find most memorable about this year's Lent?
This year's Lent had a letting-go theme for me. (With luck and effort and grace, that theme will continue.) It's been so helpful, and I'm getting some joy and lightness back.

5. How will you spend your time during this upcoming Holy Week? What part do you look forward to most?
I love Holy Week. It's so busy, but it's beautiful. In my parish, we observe Tenebrae on Wednesday, and then have services for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. I'm preaching on Good Friday this year, which is daunting, as I've long felt it to be the most powerful service of the year. I'm might be looking forward to Tenebrae the most, though, as it's a service carried by liturgy rather than sermon. It's unusual (for me) in that respect, and it's a striking service.

6 comments:

  1. I love Tenebrae for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how wonderful--which I could hear you break open the Word on Friday. Praying and knowing that you will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish we could have that tea and chat and that I could hear you preach. Maybe someday. God does amazing things, you know.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins