4.07.2010

Wednesday Prayers: Rent-Free Space

So, I guess there are going to be Wednesday prayers and Saturday ones. That's a good thing.

Today I'm thinking of a phrase from Roger Ebert, ""Resentment is allowing someone to live rent-free in a room in your head." I think that's true anytime we choose to meditate (because what else is it when we turn things over and over in our minds?) on things we can't control. I'd rather meditate of God, and on love, and on hope.

This week, my prayer is to let go, and to understand how to keep letting go. (That is so often my prayer-- though also not often enough, because if I were focusing on that I wouldn't have the energy and attention to focus on the things I can't control!) I'll level with you: I have a family member who's suffered from mental illness for a long time, and I'm trying to figure out how on earth to let go of some of that situation. It's been so good to know that loved ones have carried me in their prayers; I still really need it.

How about you? What's rattling around in your prayers this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins