4.04.2010

From the Tomb

A couple of years ago, at Lancaster Theological Seminary's Summer Academy, I took a Liturgical Art class. That, combined with the Lectio Divina I've been doing lately, has created a new practice for me. I'm calling it Lectio Embroidery.

My first piece I took from Matthew 28, and ended up focused specifically on verses 1 and 6:
After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb...He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. I sat and I prayed, and then I took out a pad and some colored pencils, and began to sketch.

At dawn
on the first day of the week.
Come and see the place where he lay.

Come and see the place where he lay? Go into the tomb? And as I prayed, I meditated on Easter morning from within the tomb. It's a completely new perspective for me.

Jesus, looking out at a new day, looking out from the tomb, experiencing resurrection!

The women, in the fresh light, experiencing resurrection!

And also me, looking for hope that must come from God, anticipating resurrection.
All of us, buried with Christ in baptism
, looking out from the tomb.

The Lord is risen, dear ones.

6 comments:

  1. This was the theme of the cover of our bulletin this morning!
    Sunrise service was all about the stone - as a sign of victory (like a sports trophy), as the corner stone of a building...there were 5 of them, from Charles Spurgeon.
    Buona Pasqua!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me laugh... just when I think I've come upon something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool practice, Di. Paschal blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope we see more of this new practice ;')

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! I've been doing lectio coloring and decoupage, but I'm truly devoted to fiber arts. I will have to give a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lectio embroidery. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins