3.29.2011

Mix Tape Vol. II: Cities

This Mix Tape partnership that my friend Julie and I have going is just RIDICULOUSLY fun. I'm so surprised at how much fun it is.

After a holiday (both of us) and relocation (her) hiatus, we just swapped discs again. This time, the theme was Cities. I'm learning that making mixes is a lot like novel-writing-- it's impossible to make the story do anything but what it wants. I kept trying to make a mix for a specific place, and my playlist was not having it. Finally, I realized it wanted to be a drive through the different neighborhoods of a city. At the end, it was a damn fun collection, and I'm glad I let it be what it wanted.

On the first mix, I used music I already had. This time, I went hunting for a fair bit, and part of the fun was discovering new stuff. The other great thing was arranging the list once I had the songs. Dave always helps me with that part, and there was a LOT of giggling this time. The pairings got pretty silly. (Alizee --> Right Said Fred, anyone?)

Find a buddy, and start making mixes. Trust me.


  1. Shame on You (Indigo Girls)
  2. Danza Kuduro (Don Omar)
  3. Down at the Twist and Shout (Mary CC)
  4. She Asked Me So I Told Her (T-Model Ford)
  5. Cleaning Windows (Van Morrison)
  6. Rosie (Joan Armatrading)
  7. Golden (Jill Scott)
  8. Jaco (Yasmin Levy)
  9. Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien (Edith Piaf)
  10. Moi...Lolita (Alizee)
  11. I'm Too Sexy (Right Said Fred)
  12. Money, Money, Money (ABBA)
  13. Big in Japan (Tom Waits)
  14. Womanizer (Britney Spears)
  15. Mdlwembe (Zola)
  16. Que Onda Guero (Beck)
  17. Maria's Wedding (Black-47)
  18. I'm Downright Amazed (Atom and His Package)
  19. We Built This City (Starship)

2 comments:

  1. what fun. for years Margaret and I made gift tapes, then CDs for friends as holiday presents. For years we have not done it. I did give my parents 50 tunes from 1958 when they celebrated their 50th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart this list!! xoxo, Erin :)

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins