1.06.2010

Wednesday Prayer: Seeing One Another

Yesterday I met a group of people, and was blessed when they were honest. It's a gorgeous thing when we can see each other, and when we let ourselves be seen.

So, this week my prayer is one of Rilke's french poems, translated by A. Poulin, Jr.

O my friends, all of you, I renounce
none of you; not even that transient
who, from the inconceivable life, was
no more than a soft glance, open and hesitant.

How often, with an eye or gesture,
someone, despite himself, stops
the imperceptible flight of another
by paying attention to him for a moment.

Strangers. They play large parts
in our fate that every day completes.
O discreet stranger, take good aim,
as you lift your gaze towards my distracted heart.

Being attentive, that's my prayer for the week. How about you? What prayers may I add for you?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:25 AM

    you have my prayers. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins