5.31.2007

Baby steps to the elevator, baby steps down the hall...

I emailed the seminary this morning, let them know that I needed to withdraw my application. I probably should have waited to do it, because my rector wants us to get together with the head of the COM and go over all of the numbers... but I'm out of town this weekend, haven't heard from my rector all week, and he goes on vacation and then sabbatical in 3 weeks. Sometimes, you have to do the reasonable thing, even if everyone hasn't totally signed off on it. (For that matter, we're now on 28 business days and counting that I haven't gotten official word of postulancy.)

So, I've started to put the numbers together, because even though I've withdrawn, it's a good idea to back it up. Now I think I'm going to start working on study proposals, so that I can go into that meeting (if we ever have it) with some reasonable ideas. Extended CPE locally, so that I can still work. A few spiritual direction workshops. Maybe an evening class at the local sem.

3 comments:

  1. Hugs to you, Mrs. M. I love your "What about Bob" title. Baby steps indeed. It's all we can do. You sound peaceful with your decision. Sounds right. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:31 PM

    I'm not episcopal, but I went to Yale with a million episcopalians, and the experience there has been that few people get the kind of financial aid they need when they're applying at the last minute (and in the case of Yale with a firm deadline, they don't even get in) --even though bishops repeatedly do this. I don't understand how the bishops have not gotten with the program to do this at a different time of year. I can't begin to imagine trying to put together a new job, new house, financial aid, etc. (let alone saying goodby to people in your current home) without a good 4-5 months to do that. I think you're being quite wise.

    Regarding your comment on the YDS career site. Those are comments made by rectors male and female, 35-65 who have hired a new associate within the last 5 years--so they're rather realistic. I think the reason women get called out more than men is that men really have it easy where interview clothes are concerned. Either a suit or a blue jacket, grey slacks combo, a sharp shirt and tie and you're good to go. It's women that have so many options and, hence, sometimes make choices that don't work--but how are you supposed to KNOW? That stuff makes me nuts. Invitations that say black tie--well how about an invitation that says--long gown and hose, and you men figure it out on your own!

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins