9.30.2006

Friday Five a Day Late

Here we go, Ladies and Gents, this week's Friday Five :

1. Tell us about any group(s) you currently belong to. (e.g. book club, knitting circle, walking buddies, etc.)

I'm sad to tell you, I have no group. BUT, I've recently heard that a young female priest (who will be ordained in 4 hours!) is talking about starting a women's group. You know, one that's NOT scheduled during working hours (amazing concept).

2. Do you feel energized or drained by being in a group situation? If the answer is "it depends," on what does it depend?
I almost always feel better after I've done it, but am usually anxious anticipating it. Actually, I should clarify. I am very uncomfortable trying to mingle with strangers-- esp if they know each other. But if there's a program/purpose, I have a great time.

3. Is there a role you naturally find yourself playing in group situations? That is, do you naturally fall into the leader role, or the one who always makes sure the new person feels welcome, or the quiet one who sits back and lets others shine, or the host?
I tend to try to get everyone involved. I'm like the little sheepdog wrangling stragglers.

4. Handshakes vs. hugs: discuss.
Handshakes. Hugs, but ask first. I'm a big believer in being respectful of people's boundaries.

5. Ice breakers: a playful way to build community in a lighthearted manner, or a complete and utter hell of forced fun and awkwardness?
Fantastic if there are people who don't know one another in the group. Also a nice way to make cliques mingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins