9.19.2012

Wednesday Prayers: Holding the Line

At the end of the summer, I decided it was important to make a habit of playtime.  To set aside a few hours once a week where I don't reflect, work, or otherwise try to improve myself or my surroundings.  It doesn't interfere with what needs to be done, but it nurtures joy and keeps me from thinking that I personally can solve every problem in the world.  In fact, I made it one of my ministry goals this year.

Reactions to my goal have been surprisingly mixed.  More than one minister has been downright derisive.  Dave, I'm happy to report, is all for it.  My Field Ed supervisor thinks it's a pretty good idea, too.  (So far, he's a gem.  But it's only been 16 weeks, so I'm holding off on making a judgment.  On account of, you just never know.)

So, if you feel like praying for me this week, I'd love prayers to stay devoted to play and joy.  I don't believe I can minister long-term without them.

How about you?  Is there a discipline you need a little divine help to maintain?  Is there anything else I can lift up for you?  

3 comments:

  1. It seems to me that making time for joy (Sabbath!) is the mark of someone who has been in ministery.

    Take all the inference implied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ministry. Trying to type from my phone. Should teach me not to be snarky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think NOT taking time for joy is a mark of someone who makes it "ministery!" (In my head, that's a merger of misery and ministry...)

      =)

      Delete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins