5.03.2011

Toes

A million years ago (probably about 25, if you're a stickler for that sort of thing), my mom and I used to buy matching sandals at the PX (on-base department store, for you civilians out there). I remember white ones and brown ones, but they all had the same cushy footbed and crossed leather straps.

I saw them about a month ago at Bass, and mentioned my happy shoe memory to Dave. When Easter came around, he popped a pair into my basket. (I'm not quite wearing heels again yet, so last year's sandals are still tucked in a box under the bed.) I wore them for the first time today (SUNSHINE--hallelujah!).

I ride a fine line between grief and fondness in May, with Mother's Day and my mom's birthday just days apart. This is a piece of what that looks like.

3 comments:

  1. great gift, the dude gets major points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it feel like you are on the edge? Oh sweetie...I just wish that I could hug you. What cute little feet you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On May 11th you posted a question re: Omnipotence and God is Love.
    Did you remove that post? Still obviously curious?
    A key for me and my theology (it works for me but maybe not for anyone else) vs Wacko-ology is in Genesis 1:31 after the sixth day of creation God saw everything that they had and said it is very good". A good and loving God allows pain and suffering in the world then invites us to explore ways in which we can creatively, sensibly and sustainably pour love and goodness into it.
    Don

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins