3.24.2010

Wednesday Prayers: Rest

Mr. M and I are trying something new. We gave a curfew to problem-solving. After 8 P.M., we're done fixing/brainstorming/analyzing/planning in our house. This wouldn't be a good thing in households where issues aren't discussed, but we are not one of those, by a long shot. Ergo, there is to be no improvement after 8.

There are so many areas where we're both growing lately that it's a little overwhelming. We welcome those changes, we've been waiting for them, but... well, I one of us can be a bloody Jack Russell of singlemindedness a bit determined. So we're making time to let go. We're deliberately noting that we are not in control of the universe. We're putting into practice the understanding that growth takes time, and constant poking at a seedling doesn't make it a great big plant overnight. And, even more importantly, God is the one who turns the seed into a plant-- let's make some space for divine work instead of fooling ourselves that it's all us. I can put a seed in the ground, but I sure can't cause a tiny shoot to emerge.

In honor of this, I offer the following prayer this week, found in my battered copy of The Pastor's Prayerbook by Robert. N. Rodenmayer (altered for gender-inclusiveness):

O Thou unchanging lover of people, who dost continually make new the failures and imperfections of people, accept, we beseech Thee, the offering of what we have done, and left undone, and done amiss this day. Meet our imperfection with Thy perfection, our weakness with Thy life, our sins with Thy transforming love, and accept and make perfect these our imperfect prayers.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea--now, if I could figure out how to shut up my brain, which doesn't respect these boundaries and wakes me up at 2 a.m. to chat about problems, I'd be set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with the sitting back and being aware of the ride

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, I'm laughing, because I'm right there with you. I'm hoping that having those hours before bedtime help with the 2 A.M. brain-ants!

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins