11.20.2009

Friday Five: Thanksgiving and Mulleygrubs

Thanks to Jan for this Friday Five:

The Cure
Lying around all day
with some strange new deep blueweekend funk,
I'm not really asleep
when my sister calls
to say she's just hung up
from talking with Aunt Bertha
who is 89 and ill but managing
to take care of Uncle Frank
who is completely bed ridden.Aunt Bert says
it's snowing there in Arkansas,on Catfish Lane,
and she hasn't been
able to walk out to their mailbox.She's been suffering
from a bad case of the mulleygrubs.
The cure for the mulleygrubs,
she tells my sister,is to get up and bake a cake.
If that doesn't do it, put on a red dress.
--Ginger Andrews (from Hurricane Sisters)

So this Friday before Thanksgiving, think about Aunt Bert and how she'll celebrate Thanksgiving! And how about YOU?

1. What is your cure for the "mulleygrubs"?
Going for a walk or a run usually helps. Snuggling with Mr. M definitely helps. Also a fresh pot of tea.

2. Where will you be for Thanksgiving?
We will be outside of Philly with Mr. M's parents.

3. What foods will be served? Which are traditional for your family?
It's really hard to predict. I've spent 5 Thanksgivings with them, and I can't tell what's important.

4. How do you feel about Thanksgiving as a holiday?
Pffbt. Generally, it's pretty stressful.

5. In this season of Thanksgiving, what are you grateful for?
We just found out last night that someone else got a job Mr. M really, really wanted. And while that was a big disappointment, I'm still feeling so grateful that he has a job and that we have enough. That feels like a very big thing right now.

BONUS: Describe Aunt Bert's Thanksgiving.
Poor Aunt Bert. I dunno. Maybe she and Uncle Frank played pinocle and laughed all day. That's what I'm hoping.

4 comments:

  1. #5 is tough, but I understand what you mean. Hope you have sometime to rest over thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the job front. For every job opening there are two or three times as many folks applying as there used to be...and all highly qualified. It is an empoyers market, so to speak...

    I hope this Thanksgiving at the in-laws is less stressful than usual, for no good reason other than I hope it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like my daughter in Seattle about Thanksgiving--she doesn't understand it, but maybe that's also because she's a vegetarian. It amused me that you didn't know what was "traditional" at the other family's--especially because I am a mother-in-law, and we're spending Thanksgiving at my son and his wife's home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I think you've nailed it actually. Vegetarianism does throw things off a bit. Mr. M's been a vegetarian for years, was told to bring something if he wanted to eat. Now that his little brother is vegan, the family response is a bit different. The whole darn holiday is weird for us.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins