2.27.2009

Friday Five
When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Singing Owl seems to have some heavy stuff going on:
I am at a life-changing juncture. I do not know which way I will go, but I have been thinking about the times, people and events that changed my life (for good or ill) in significant ways. For today's Friday Five, share with us five "fork-in-the-road" events, or persons, or choices. And how did life change after these forks in the road?

I've been thinking about forks-in-the-road a lot lately, and I've been thinking about playing with it a little more. I had a nutty with Mr. M a few weeks ago, a big wailing hour of, "I'm going to be a secretary forever. And I'm a BAAAAAAAAADDD SECRETAAAAARY....WAAAAH!" It was closely followed by a hicupping, "and...and... I've wasted all this time...and... and... I don't even have anything to SHOW FOR IT."

I told you, I was having a nutty. And I know none of that is true. (Well, I'm really not a spectacular secretary, that's true.) But I've learned a lot in the 8 years since I graduated, and I've done some gutsy things that I tend to forget about. Just yesterday I was telling my wonderful, marvelous boss about how I got to this town-- made a list, did some reseach, and then just popped myself into a new place.

So, I've decided to make a life resume, just to remind myself where I've been, and that there's some really good stuff in there (because it's so easy to forget when it's not a linear path). I particularly appreciate today's Friday Five--it's a nice start to the exercise I've been thinking about.

1. Going to Denison. I didn't see it until June orientation (I so did not come from a family that knew about doing college tours one's junior year), but it was like we'd been separated at birth. I loved it.
2. Moving to PA. I don't want to stay here forever, but I'm proud of how I got here.
3. Marrying Dave. Smartest darn thing I've ever done.
4. Starting formal discernment. I didn't finish the way I thought I would, but I don't even have words for how important it's been to me.
5. Starting real relationships with RevGals. Diane over at faith in community quoted a prof of hers once as saying that we should talk to everyone, because we never know what the Holy Spirit has in mind. It's so true, and it's been a wonderful philosophy to embrace.

15 comments:

  1. Cool play -- thanks! Oh, and I had a "we should talk to everyone" experience just about a month ago. I met my newest friend in the bath mat aisle of the Tuesday Morning that just opened up nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, with some good decisions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so delighted that I popped through your kitchen door. For starters, you used the phrase "hold in the light." That just sends warm fuzzies through my soul. And then you describe having a nutty in such a spectacular way that I could hear you. And THEN I come here to comment and find you quoting Abigail Barlett. I feel like I've come home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great quote from diane's prof... and i'm sure dave is glad you included him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last one, and I so admire the way you've moved through your discernemnt process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:25 AM

    I would love to give you a big hug right now. Because I love you and you deserve a billion of them! HUGGGG. Loves, Erin : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made me smile TWICE. First, I'm also a not-so-great secretary; I'm feelin' ya!

    Second, LOVE the Abby Bartlet quote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:53 AM

    love you! and love your sharing here -- it's been remarkable to share in your journey just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed this F.F. Reading other's reponses has been good for me! I love the quote too--seems we all do. DOn't you could meet Rev Gals in person? Not at a big meet up--one by one?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, we have a guest room that doesn't get used often enough, and there's a lot to do and see in Maine, so RevGals, come and see me! (One at a time is probably best!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful play! I especially appreciate your thoughts on discernment--I love it so much because the process guarantees growth whatever the results.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are splendid, my dear! Even if you were to be a secretary forever...which clearly you will not be....you have much "to show for" who Di M is! Great play. Glad you are in this ring and do so long for that meet-up IRL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I concur about the RevGals and the talking. You've made some good choices and the way will be made clear. . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the "we should talk to everyone" quote because it is so true and it's amazing how much God is talking to me when I'm listening. LOL...

    enjoyed. :)
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would really like to meet you in person someday.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins