11.12.2009

Wednesday Prayers, A Day Late: Shifting

Late last night, I was talking to a friend about the incredible difference in our lives when we shift from a "have to" mindset to a "get to" one. My friend was struggling with this, but I struggle with it, too. Even good things-- seeing friends, doing work I love-- can become chores or sources of anxiety, when I focus on how I "have to" do them. The wonderful anticipation is gone, replaced by dread.

So this week, my prayer request is that a develop a habit of looking forward from a "get to" perspective-- with joy, gratitude, and excitement.

What's your request?

4 comments:

  1. I like that...that's a good way to look at it.
    Thanks so much for praying for me over the past few months. I am in such a better place now in my life and general. I really appreciate all your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of something I read somewhere recently--starting out with YES rather than the normal or ordinary "no." Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please pray for me Sunday morning at 10 am when I will engage in nonviolent resistance/public penance by handing out the sermon I should have preached from the pulpit at the door of my now former parish. My goal is to be loving, humble, and nonviolent in mind, heart and especially mouth! Details on my blog in two recent posts, "Spiritual Warfare" and "The Lesson of the Fig Tree." Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am posting late, but I couldn't resist letting you know that I'm going to try this attitude shift. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins