11.27.2009

Friday Five: Crushes

Songbird shares a really fun Friday Five over at the RevGals page:

You see, in high school, I had a crush on my Chorus teacher. He was a young guy, and he had gone to college with some cousins of mine, and over the summer between 9th and 10th grade, we ran into each other at a series of pre-wedding parties, and I feel DEEPLY in like.You?

This is such a fun Friday Five for me! Crushes are absolutely a part of who I am.

1) Did you ever have a crush on a teacher?
Sort of. I had a crush on a very sweet, disheveled poet who was also a professor at UMD. He lived in my apartment building in high school , and we used to chat in the elevator. He did a reading once at Denison (while I was a student there), and when he saw me in the audience, he stopped reading his poem, smiled over his glasses, and said, "Hello, neighbor." Still makes me grin to think about.

2) Who was your first crush?
Jeffery Schuttler in first grade. Dorky, but very sweet. Clearly an early indicator.

3) Have you ever given a gift to a crush?
I don't think so. Or, possibly, I've blocked the memory out of embarrassment.

4) Do you have a celebrity crush? (Around my house we call them TV boyfriends and girlfriends...)
Absolutely. Umm... it's Rahm Emmanuel. Seriously. Smart, intense. Funny.

5) Have you ever been surprised to find yourself the crushee?
I don't think so.

7 comments:

  1. Poets are meant to be disheveled, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome story about the poet--sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I'm with you on the teacher calling you out at the poetry reading. He was probably quite flattered. Ewww. Some of those older teachers thought they were so the thing. Maybe he broke the mold though! Isn't that the way with crushes...no logic at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poetry reading story. It's so fun when that happens. And in a weird way I have a crush on the fictitious C.J. Cregg. So smart, so witty, so confident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, no, Angela. I must have told it wrong-- he was just very sweet. It was not a skeevy thing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago, while having coffee at a Starbucks in Chicago I met Rahm. He was politicking for a local alderwoman and engaged our table in conversation - interested in what three women Episcopal priests had to say....so, yeah, I get that crush!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swooning, Mompriest. Swooning.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins