1.12.2006

The Very Best

I'm pretty sure my friend Mildred is the very best woman I know. She's got 50 years on me in age, but she's a heck of a lot younger than I am. She's incredible.

I called her this morning, because I can't imagine getting through any crisis without her. Sure enough, she was supportive and loving, and made me feel more confident and peaceful.

It has been said that if you have 3 or 4 close friends with whom you can be completely open and safe, you've had a very rich life. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know Mildred.

I don't know if I've ever had someone tell me that they loved me, and so were hurt that I was hurt. And I'm sure I've never known anyone else who could hurt when I was in pain, but could still so fully love the one who hurt me. She is a gracious, remarkable woman.

Mildred says that when we tell Jesus anything, his response is, "I know, and I love you." Theologically, that's sound, but when you put it in such simple language, it's also deeply personal. What a way to think about prayer: coming to God in rage and in pain and in joy, and receiving the answer, "I know, and I love you."

I want to be just like her when I grow up.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:31 PM

    Me too, and I don't even know her!

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins