1.08.2006

Internship Beginning



I started my internship today at Tiny Olde Church. (The above picture is life-sized.)

My biggest observation: my own priest has been so deliberate about preparing me that this may be a bit of a let-down.

Tiny Olde Church has Sunday attendance of about 60-- this morning it was 30 at the first service, and 28 at the second. Almost all are over retirement age. There were two students in the youth group, none in nursery or Sunday School. Everyone was very warm. I have to say, I really enjoy spunky people, and I think TOC has at least its fair share of those.

I'm told by my supervising priest that the congregation really wants to attract a younger crowd, and she's hoping I can help with that. I didn't have the heart to tell her that my best friends locally are all over 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins