1.13.2006

Feast and Famine

In this week of hell (that I really believe can be an instrument of God's grace), I have been absolutely swaddled with love from those around me.

The old cliché is that you don't know who your friends are until disaster strikes. My happy discovery is that I have far more, and far better, friendships than I've been aware of in past months.

Tom D. is the male equivelent of Mildred. 77 also, and like Mildred, stronger and healthier than I expect to be anytime soon.

Also more generous than I think I may ever learn to be.

He's a humble man. Not in the sense that he's unassuming--he has beautiful posture and a decent sense of propriety. But in the sense of really being in touch with his humanity, and his weaknesses, and turning those into the strengths of empathy and generousity.

He has offered to be of help to both Mr. M and myself. I think he's just the sort of man we need in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins