10.19.2011

Wednesday Prayers: Opportunity

You know that old saw about opportunity only knocking once?  Hogwash.  Or at least, hogwash when it's a character-building opportunity.  In that case, opportunity just seems to keep pounding at my door.

Around certain people, my sturdy Self dissolves into so many tiny nonpareils, and scatters across the kitchen floor.  I, in my infinite foolishness, keep thinking that maybe I can just avoid those people.

Opportunity keeps knocking.

Eleanor Roosevelt was right that no one can make us feel small without our permission.  What she didn't say was that we might have to practice taking up our full space.  We might have to remember to breathe, and remember that what God has put within us is very solid, and cannot be eroded by others.

Opportunity remains.  It hurts like the dickens, but I like what I see on the other side.  And I'm convinced that God is with me between here and there. 

For the presence of mind to stay close to God, 
For the ability to respect God's creation in us, 
and for learning to love our neighbor and ourselves at all times;
                                                          Lord, hear our prayer.

2 comments:

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins