10.24.2011

I Love My Pepys.

“In appearance, at least, he being on all occasions glad to be at friendship with me, though we hate one another, and know it on both sides.” -Samuel Pepys

I heart Samuel Pepys (and, as he had trouble turning away from women, I think he might have liked me, too).  I laughed when I read this-- almost 400 years later, humanity is still ridiculous.  I can certainly think of times where there were civil, even friendly, interactions between people who detested each other.  While we are indeed called to love our neighbor, there's some consolation in hypocrisy being a longstanding tradition.  


And Lord knows, Pepys makes me laugh.  Can't we study him instead of Augustine?


No comments:

Post a Comment

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins