5.01.2009

Dangling My Feet in the Water

I opened up Google Reader this morning, and peeked at this week's Friday Five. It's beautiful, just the sort of thing I love to think about, and my first reaction was, "Crap! This is gorgeous, and I can't give it the sort of thought that will do it justice today." Very close to my feelings about reading An Altar In the World, actually. Without a congregation (something I'm uncomfortable about), some authors are kindred spirits, a reminder of the wide communion of all the saints.

I'm crabby because I desperately want time to marinate in all of these lovely things, and to sit in God's company, alone and with others. I see people all day long, but in a busy administrative job, our time together is about the work, not about the people. There are so many places where I'm hungry to listen, so many people I encounter but can't take the time to know. It's like wanting to swim, to glide through the water and feel your hair flow out behind you, when you're only able to stick your toes in the waves. It's still nice, but it's not at all satisfying.

That's where I am.

4 comments:

  1. That is a very hard place to be. Especially when you want for it to be different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. M9:27 AM

    You know, it's a mixed blessing. I'd much rather have an unfed hunger than no appetite at all. It's frustrating, but I'm grateful to have the craving back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear about the unfed hunger, however, it is a blessing to be aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. unfed hunger.
    that's beautiful and mixed.

    I feel similar but different about BBT's Altar in the World. I read the first two chapters and don't want to go back to it...because then it will be finished. However, I preached one of my best sermons inspired by the first chapter.

    And realtor.com and virtual houseshopping. great suggestion~~more fun than shoes, and I LOVE shoes!!

    take care.....peace to you....

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins