10.31.2008

Friday Five: Potpourri Edition

Woohoo! It's will smama doing the Friday Five this week! Here's what we've got:

As I zip around the webring it is quite clear that we are getting BUSY. "Tis the season" when clergy and laypeople alike walk the highwire from Fall programming to Christmas carrying their balancing pole with family/rest on the one side and turkey shelters/advent wreaths on the other.And so I offer this Friday Five with 5 quick hit questions... and a bonus:

1) Your work day is done and the brain is fried, what do you do?
Well, the very first thing I do is hop in the shower (washing the day off), or at least change clothes. I don't care if what I wore to work is actually more comfortable than what I change into-- I want to take the day off. Then I probably take about 20 minutes of quiet time with God before I putter downstairs to see what Mr. M has going for dinner. (Bless his wonderful heart.)

2) Your work week is done and the brain is fried (for some Friday, others Sunday afternoon), what do you do?
Sleep until at least 10 on Saturday, cuddling with the cats and Mr. M. Head out for breakfast/brunch. Maybe go for a run. Read a ton of mind candy books.

3) Like most of us, I often keep myself busy even while programs are on the tv. I stop to watch The Office and 30 Rock on Thursday nights. Do you have 'stop everything' tv programming or books or events or projects that are totally 'for you' moments?
We're (sort of) a TV-free house. We don't have cable, and we get absolutely zero reception on the standard channels. What we do have is all seven seasons of West Wing, and a good start on Scrubs. They're not "stop everything" TV, but they are well-loved.

4) When was the last time you laughed, really laughed? What was so funny?
Some wonderful college friends made me laugh pretty hard this morning on Facebook. The cats make me laugh a lot. Honestly? I'm a laugher. There's a lot that strikes me as funny. My mom's sense of humor is very similar to mine, so we laugh till we cry,which is completely unnerving to Mr. M.

5) What is a fairly common item that some people are willing to go cheap on, but you are not.
Pens. I'm a big ol' pen snob. I keep one fountain pen on my desk, and another in my purse, and I use those instead of cheapo disposables. I love nice inks.

5 comments:

  1. :-) fro a fellow pen snob, I love my fountain pen, great play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pen snobbery and I am glad you have someone to laugh with.

    Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. an ink snob... well who knew??? i do think sometimes there's a movement afoot of tv-free households... my tv's so OLD it'll putter out with the hdtv phenom quite soon... and i'm thinking that will free up my time and my mind quite a bit. perhaps an aquarium could fill that spot in the entertainment center? nah... fish are icky.... but books, yes install a shelf and there we go... more books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, pens. I didn't think of that. I am a wannabe pen snob.

    and Mr. M makes supper? That's cool.

    the image of washing the day off is captivating....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, cat cuddles and cat laughs are so great.
    Wish you were close, I'd take you to an auction, they are such fun

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins