6.23.2008

Harmony

I love musical harmonies. Bluegrass and folk and classical, all different times of voices blending and weaving themselves together. I don't know how to make harmonies. I can hold my tenor part if someone teaches me, but I don't know how to create these lovely dances.

Tonight at Evening Prayer, I was able to listen as I led. I heard a small group of women's voices blending and joining and feathering at the edges, so that none were distinct, but none were lost, either.

And then I drove home, joining my favorite harmonizers.

I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. -Ps. 89:1

2 comments:

  1. Harmony is a great metaphor for friendship, etc., too.

    Thanks for the James Taylor in the earlier post. I'm listening it to it now.

    Voices together, is that heaven or a glimpse of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned more about harmonizing from them than from any voice lesson I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins