4.23.2007

I am a Postulant.

I think.

I interviewed with the Commission on Thursday. They recommended that I be granted postulancy, and usually that's that. They voiced reservations, which my bishop shared (can be simplified as "too much head, not enough heart"), so I don't totally, completely feel like I'm approved. Should get a letter soon from the bishop's office to confirm (or, there's a slim chance, not).

It was a really rough day. I've been congratulated, but the day was so hard that I'm not really celebrating. Maybe I was lulled into a false sense of security-- the last time I met with these people it was a breeze. This time they were running behind, so I didn't get in to meet with them until an hour and a half after my appointed time. The meeting itself felt rushed, and I feel awkward in retrospect. It's funny (and not) that I've spent a good bit of my (albeit short) professional life in HR, coaching people on what's appropriate during an interview. DON'T TALK ABOUT PERSONAL INFORMATION being a standard rule. It can be hard to learn to break.

2 comments:

  1. Well, then, congratulations! with a tiny c and one exclamation point until you get the letter.

    I had a similar experience in my first meeting with my Presbytery --at least 1.5 hours late; the door to the office locked and the outer entrance pitch dark as they met in an inner conference room with another individual, so that I was convinced for some time that either I had the wrong night or the meeting had been canceled; and then complete indifference on their part to the possibility that I might be a bit rattled by such an inauspicious beginning.

    I suppose that what feels like the earth shaking to us feels somewhat mundane to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hugs! and prayers (not that you'll be made a postulant, but for your own peace)

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins