10.30.2006

Working What Works

Some of you know that I have an eclectic spiritual background (am a complete mutt). Church of Christ (not UCC, but rather the form that looks like Southern Baptist) pseudofamily, Catholic grandmother, evangelical schools, Quaker husband, self-help mother. (This, is course, is great training ground for an Episcopalian.)

That having been said, I've practiced my faith in a variety of different ways. Everything from the extemporaneous "Jesus, We Just" prayers (as a lovely deranged PCUSA minister I know calls them) of lower churches to silent mediation in Quaker meeting to nightly rosaries with my grandmother.

I have had mentors of a variety of denominational flavors encourage one kind of prayer over another. While I agree that it's important to seek God in new ways, there's a lot to be said for the comfort of consistancy.

Rev Redhead (a truly exceptional pastor) said once that you absolutely have to be faithful to the daily offices, because it's such a comfort to have them in place when you need them. The sentiment rang true, and I've scouted out different ways to make that work for me.

What I've come back to more than once is adapting the offices to the Anglican rosary. The nightly rosary is the most positive memory I have with my grandmother, and certainly the most peaceful. I identify it with quiet and reflection, with safety.

I've adapted "Daily Devotions for Families and Individuals" (BCP 136), which are shorter forms of Morning, Noonday and Evening Prayer, as well as compline. I'm going to go back and make some language adjustments using "Enriching Our Worship," but overall I'm just pleased to return to what resonates.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Mrs. M, if you have that written down I would LOVE to see it.

    I'm a cradle Episcopalian, so the Daily Office resonates just right to me. And I love my Anglican rosary...it's just that the words/prayers I'm finding to go with it, don't sound right. I generally end up with a combination of the Lord's Prayer and the Jesus Prayer.

    A little variety would be nice.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins