1.23.2013

Wednesday Prayers: Cowboys

My favorite girlfriend and I have both loved cowboys (which I Freudian Typed "cowbodys") for a long time.  There was a rodeo a million years ago, and we bought hats, and leered at men with excellent rear ends in faded jeans.

I realized a few years into marriage that when an attractive person caught my eye, it was inevitably because there was a quality in them that I was missing in myself.  Cowboys are no different.  I've been listening to classic country lately, and brooding about big skies.

I like the way freedom feels.  January chills have me (and everyone else) cooped up, and the next semester is about to start.  It's hard to feel like myself.  I'm praying for joy and spaciousness this week.

How about you?  Is there a part of yourself that's hibernating?  Can I join you in those prayers?

2 comments:

  1. Cowboys are my weakness. Makes me want to sit on the swings and smoke a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word spacious just caught my eye on another's blog. Must be the call the be soaring like a hawk not huddled under a quilt. Been praying to bounce back a bit and have more joy in my walk though life. Seems to be working, but pray on my friend.

    ReplyDelete

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins