6.20.2005

Getting started...

About 2 years ago I started thinking about becoming a priest. In some churches I might be frocked by now, but I'm finding the Episcopal church is very... thorough. Which means I'm still in the early days of discernment.

I used to think that I was impatient, but as it turns out, that's only true when I don't know what's going to happen next. The 5 more years that this process takes before I might (might!) become ordained isn't a big deal, because it's all laid out. Whew-- structure!

Here's what I've done so far:
  1. The Diocesan 1-year "Exploring Your Ministry" class.
  2. Regular meetings with my Parish Discernment group.

Here's what's left (as I understand it):

  1. Getting invited to BCOM (the Bishop's Commission on Ministry, a weekend-long interview).
  2. Serving a (roughly) 6-month lay internship in another parish.
  3. Going to seminary for 3 years.
  4. Becoming ordained as a transitional deacon/ serving a curacy.
  5. Getting ordained to the priesthood.

The next few years are going to be busy. Did I mention I got married less than a year ago? Right. Mr. M is incredibly supportive, but that certainly throws a few new issues my way.

It's going to be a heck of a ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
-Saint Molly Ivins